With a rainy weekend ahead of me I decided to make my own horse this weekend. I was a terrible blogger and didn't take any pictures of the process.. but here's the final result. I have to say I'm pretty pleased with myself on this one.
I started out by tracing the horse on tracing paper and then transferring it to a 2' square of plywood. I then painted the white areas with some antique white paint. Once that had dried I went over it with a hand sander to beat it up a bit. Lastly, I used some walnut colored gel stain over the entire piece. I love the way the lines in the wood show through in the stained area. At a total cost of about $15 this is a steal compared to the $199 price tag of the Pottery Barn one. And I was able to scale it down to fit in my decor.