Monday, July 13, 2009

diy cork board

I've been searching for a large cork board for my craft room for a few weeks now and have not been able to find exactly what I'm looking for. So I decided to make one of my own! I went to a local Goodwill over the weekend in search of a large wood picture frame to paint. I found this terrible pastel picture that had a solid wood frame and the detail I was looking for. And it was only $10!

The first step was to take the paper backing off and disassemble the pieces. After getting it down to just the frame it was time to spray it with some white primer and two light coats of Heirloom White spray paint.


While the frame was drying it was time to attach the cork to the cardboard backing that came with the frame. I purchased a roll of cork from a local office supply store for about $12.






I used some foam sticky squares I had from a previous project to attach the cork to the cardboard.



Once the frame was dry all that was left was to place the cork board back into the frame! I did have to move the hanging hardware from the top to the side so it would hang the way I wanted it to.


Here's the finished look! I spent a total of about $25 on this project which is close to what it would cost to pick up a large cork board from an office supply store. However the detail and the look is so much nicer! And you could save money by using a frame you already have!



No comments:

Post a Comment